Wednesday 31 July 2013

One Million Meals









"What's it all about?"
He said,
That small voice,
About my ear.
"Memories,"
He said.


"My own voice?"
I asked,
"Imaginary?"
"I have no idea,
I'm like everyone else."

I hear a noise,
 About my ear.
Light whirring,
Trapped wings,
Until vision locates...
...Eventually.


Enormous insect,
Trapped in a fine web,
Or in a dirty jar,
Bulging,
Struggling.



Tiny spider,
Compared to its prey,
 But the insect
Could never,
Break free,
Free.



“One million meals”
Too much to consume – 
In a lifetime,
In a lifetime.



“What will we do now?”
I asked the arachnid,
When survival,
No longer,
Concerned us.

More jars,
More webs,
Or more flies,
Or suicide,
For lack of purpose.




Industry,

Or endless pleasure?
Procreate,
Or some other measure?
Nicer,
Bigger,
Better.



I reach down for stick,
Knock over the jar,
And poke, poke poke,
Poke at the web,
Destroying,
Frantic,
Frantic.

One fucked-up web,
One smashed jar,
One puny spider,

And puny me,
One million meals,
Destroyed,
Destroyed
As one big favour.



No comments:

Post a Comment